Here’s a recipe for my favorite chocolate bars: Delicious vegan snickers. And they are perfect as a snack for a walk in the woods.
They consist of a biscuit base, which is very much inspired by twix’s biscuit bases. In addition, there is a layer of dates and peanuts. The bars are coated with coating chocolate, which consists primarily of oil and cocoa.
You can easily make coating chocolate yourself by mixing 190g dark chocolate and 35g coconut oil, palm oil, chocolate butter, or other fat that is solid at room temperature.
Make sure that the dates you buy are not completely dried (as those from Urtekram for example are) – then they must at least be soaked first. I usually buy dates with stones as they are really juicy. And then I cut in the middle of the dates to remove the stones just before I need to use them.
If the snickers are too cold just before you dip them in chocolate, it can cause the chocolate to crack one or two places when thawed. It is therefore a good idea to leave them on the kitchen table for a moment after they have been cut out and before dipping them in chocolate.
Vegan Peanut Chocolate Bars
- 100 g flour
- 40 g desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (45 g)
- 1 tbsp sugar or light syrup
- 300 g dried dates
- 5 tbsp creamy peanut butter (100 g)
- 185 g salted peanuts
- 225 g coating chocolate
- Mix flour, coconut, and salt in a bowl
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan until melted
- Mix coconut oil and sugar/syrup with the flour in the bowl and stir until the dough has an even texture
- Grease the inside of a square ovenproof dish (about 18 x 27 cm) with some coconut oil and place a piece of baking paper in the dish (it should be folded so that it fits snugly to the inside of the dish)
- Pour the dough into the dish and squeeze to spread the dough evenly
- Bake the dough in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 175°C
- Let the biscuit layer cool on the kitchen table (or in the fridge, which is faster). Meanwhile, make the filling
- Blend dates and peanut butter in a blender
- Pour the date filling into a bowl and fold the peanuts in
Making the snickers
- Spread the filling on top of the cooled biscuit layer in the dish
- Put the dish in the freezer for 2-3 hours
- Take the baking paper with the cake out of the dish and cut it into 20 square oblong pieces (2 rows with 10 in each). Each snicker should be about 2.5 cm wide and 8 cm long.
- Melt the chocolate over a water bath
- Dip each snicker in chocolate and let them dry on a piece of baking paper
1 thought on “Vegan Peanut Chocolate Bars”